Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Not As Seen on TV

Not as seen on TV
Not As Seen on TV


I spent the better part of a week in New Orleans during the second week of June (2006) and have been spending time ever since trying to wrap my head around many of the sights I saw during my stay.

Growing up, as I have, in the US, I was led to believe that we were the most powerful nation on the face of the earth. With that status came expectations of our outlook on life, a "Might for Right" approach that would help us make the world a better place to live.

Obviously, that isn't the case.

However, I had definitely expected more from the US when it came to it's own citizens. The flooding in New Orleans (and other Gulf Coast cities) happened in August of 2005, almost 10 months ago. Certainly something had been done to at least start cleaning up the area. Right?









Apparently not.

These images were all taken in the Ninth Ward, near to where the first break in the levee started the flooding of New Orleans. They're, in many ways, some of the worst that I captured, but they're still indicitive of the lack of anything down there that's being done other than a systematic betrayal of the trust the citizens of New Orleans placed in their elected officials.

I have posted these images and many others over at my main blog on livejournal: http://fivecats.livejournal.com

If you're interested in seeing more and/or commenting, please check them out and let me know what you think.

...

No comments: